However, as the demo experiment I put together shows, it is not ready for wide-spread deployment in websites and as an interface layer for games. If and when it works (and that “if” is dependent on things the software can’t account for like hardware and browser issues), it is quite good though. In the testing I’ve done, it was able to recognize the words I setup most of the time.
I went through a whole game development iteration where I was going in one direction, found my words were too close together phonetically, and then needed to swap them out. Each time, I would wait for the loading, try out some new words, and then go back to search for different combinations.
It was that loading, actually, that will be the death for most projects that might want to use PocketSphinx.js. The emscripten’d file is rather large, at several MBs in size. The project, when it works, is very impressive, but its size means loads of downloading (and thus waiting) for clients. And for mobile projects, the several megabyte download with considerable waiting and loading time, is just a No Go.